Update Your Status
Update Your Status!
Update Your Status focuses on promoting the benefits of HIV testing and tackling the reasons why young people don’t go for a test.
Why should I take an HIV test?
New HIV infections are still really high among young people. In 2012, 39 percent of all new HIV infections in the world were among young people (aged 15-24) and around 5.4 million young people were living with HIV; this equals 15 percent of the global total.
This is why it is so important to regularly get tested for HIV, so that you know your status. It shouldn’t be something to fear, there are lots of really good reasons why taking a test is a million times better than avoiding testing. Here’s some of them:
- Knowing your status is empowering – you can feel like you have taken control of your sexual health.
- You will receive information and advice – your HIV testing counsellor will give you information and advice about how to protect yourself and those around you.
- It’s really straightforward – testing is quick and easy, and going for a test regularly means that if you test positive it can be detected early, making treatment much more effective.
- If you test positive – you will be referred to see if you need to start treatment. People who take HIV treatment and adhere to it properly live long and healthy lives.
What are you waiting for? Be the trend, take the test!
Play the game!
Ever wondered what really happens when you go for an HIV test? Play our game to bust common myths about HIV testing and hear from other young people about their experiences!
0 8 9 8
Share the game, be the trend!
Read and share >> our advocacy paper calling upon donors and decision-makers to invest in improved HIV testing for young people.
We call upon funders and decision makers to ensure HIV testing is prioritised as a crucial gateway for young people to improve their health and break the chain of transmission among their peers.
We recommend effective investment into:
- Youth-friendly HIV testing and promotion activities
- Research to assess the barriers and challenges preventing young people from accessing HIV testing
- HIV education and awareness for young people to encourage uptake of HIV testing.