You are here
Help and Advice for HIV & AIDS in the UK
There are a number of places that you can turn to for HIV/AIDS related help and advice. This page lists the services and support available for HIV, AIDS and sexual health in the UK. For more general information and advice, see our Help and Advice page.
What kinds of HIV/AIDS services are available in the UK?
Emergency medical treatment
If you are in severe pain and need immediate treatment, you should go to the Accident and Emergency (A & E) department at your nearest hospital. A & E is open 24 hours, 7 days a week, including public holidays.
* Remember that A & E is not an alternative to a GP and should only be used in an emergency *
GPs and GUM clinics
If you would like to speak to a medical professional face-to-face to talk about HIV testing, treatment, or to ask for advice then you could contact your local GP surgery or GUM clinic.
A general practitioner (GP) is a qualified doctor that can diagnose and treat illnesses. They can also send patients to see other doctors or specialists who are better suited to treating that illness. You will need to register with a GP at your local doctors surgery. If you are unable to do so, or you are out of your local area, it may be better to visit a GUM clinic.
GUM (Genitourinary Medicine) clinics are run by the NHS and deal with all aspects of sexual health. They provide free, confidential advice and treatment, and can be attended without a referral from a doctor. They are open to people of any age or sexual orientation. GUM clinics do not contact anyone, including GPs, without the patient’s permission. You may need to phone to make an appointment.
If you are not sure which service is best for you, you can call the NHS Direct on 0845 46 47. NHS direct is a free information service that is open all the time. If you tell them what you would like help with, they will be able to direct you to the most suitable place for your needs.
NHS Choices is the website for the NHS, providing reliable health information and a service search to help you find services such as doctors, dentists, hospital, pharmacies and sexual health services within the UK. You can also find out about the NHS, including help with health costs, your rights and choices, and how to make a complaint. There is also information about medicines used to treat HIV and AIDS. NHS Choices website.
If you would prefer to speak to somebody over the phone about anything related to HIV/AIDS you can call The Sexual Health Line on 0800 567 123. The helpline provides a confidential, anonymous 24-hour free telephone counselling, information and referral service for those infected and affected by HIV and AIDS.
The Africa Advocacy Foundation ( 020 7708 3649) and the National African AIDS Helpline ( 0800 0967 500) provide HIV related support for people of African ethnicity living in the UK and have advisors who speak a variety of languages. Health Initiatives for Youth ( 020 7564 2134) provides support and general information for HIV positive people under 27.
Gay and lesbian help and advice in the UK
If you need advice or information about issues relating to sexuality, read our resources for people who are gay, lesbian, bisexual or unsure page. This lists helplines, social groups, websites and groups for gay and lesbian people, or those who are unsure of their sexuality.
Local HIV/AIDS service organisations
The local HIV service organisations listed below provide a range of free services to people infected or affected by HIV/AIDS living locally. These services can include case management, support groups and individual counselling as well as assistance with treatment, housing and nutrition. Some organisations also offer free HIV tests or run education and prevention programs.
These are just a few of the many agencies that are there to help. If your nearest town is not is not covered by this list, phone the Terrence Higgins Trust on 0808 802 1221. They operate Monday to Friday, 10 am - 10 pm; Saturday and Sunday, 12 pm - 6 pm and should be able to suggest an HIV service organisation near to you. You can also email them at email@example.com.
If you are looking for emotional support, the Counselling Directory can direct you to a local counsellor or psychotherapist who is specialised in HIV and AIDS support.
Although care has been taken to select helpful and appropriate resources, AVERT.org is not responsible for the content of these sites and inclusion here does not imply our endorsement. If you would like to suggest an addition or an amendment to this page then please email us.
- Bath THT West 01225 444347
- Bodmin Kernow Positive Support 01208 264 866
- Bournemouth Body Positive Dorset 01202 311 166
- Bristol THT West 0117 955 1000
- Exeter The Eddystone Trust 0800 328 3508
- Plymouth The Eddystone Trust 01752 257077
- Taunton Body Positive Somerset 01373 836 121
- Taunton The Eddystone Trust 01752 254406
- Torbay The Eddystone Trust 01752 254406
- Torquay The Eddystone Trust 01752 254406
- Truro Kernow Positive Support Helpline 01208 264866
South East and East of England
- Aldershot Positive Action Hampshire/Surrey 01252 345 019
- Brighton Sussex Beacon 01273 694222
- Brighton THT South 01273 764200
- Bedfordshire Embrace Life Luton 01582 406782
- Cambridge Cambridge Body Positive 01223 508 805
- Chatham Medway Sexual Health
- Colchester THT East 01206 798 595
- Crawley AIDS HIV Community Services 01293 521600
- Eastbourne THT South 01323 649927
- Guildford Positive Action Hampshire/Surrey 0800 980 1990
- Luton Embrace Life Luton 01582 406782
- Oxford THT Oxfordshire 01865 243389
- Portsmouth Positive Action Hampshire/Surrey 0800 980 1990
- Reading Thames Valley Positive Support 01628 603 400
- Redhill St Peters House Project 01737 763 000
- Slough Thames Valley Positive Support 01628 603 400
- Southampton The Ribbons Centre 023 8022 5511
- Southampton Groundswell 023 8063 1651
- St Albans The Crescent Support Group 01727 842 532
- Birmingham Freshwinds 0121 415 6670
- Birmingham THT Midlands 0121 694 6440
- Birmingham ABplus 0121 622 6471
- Coventry THT Midlands 024 76229292
- Derby Derbyshire Positive Support 01332 204 020
- Leicester LASS (Leicestershire AIDS Support Services) 0116 255 9995
- Lincoln Positive Health Lincolnshire 0800 252 534
- Northampton PIN (Positive In Northamptonshire) 01604 619 870
- Stoke On Trent Staffordshire Buddies 01782 201 251
- Stourbridge Dudley HIV & AIDS Support Group 01384 243 220
- Wolverhampton THT Midlands 01902 711818
- Worcester The Worcester AIDS Foundation 01905 611 602
Yorkshire and The Humber
- Barnsley Shield South Yorkshire HIV Support Group 0114 278 7916
- Dewsbury The Brunswick Centre 01422 341764
- Doncaster Doncaster Pathways 01302 327 445
- Grimsby and Scunthorpe Body Positive 01724 289 440 or 01472 358 886
- Halifax The Brunswick Centre 01422 341764
- Huddersfield The Brunswick Centre 01422 341764
- Hull Body Positive Hull & East Riding 07842 140 967
- Leeds THT Yorkshire 0113 236 4720
- Rotherham Shield South Yorkshire HIV Support Group 01709 720 477
- Sheffield Shield South Yorkshire HIV Support Group 0114 278 7916
- Wakefield Begin Learning and Living with HIV 01924 211 117
- York North Yorkshire AIDS Action 01904 640 024
- Blackpool Body Positive Blackpool 01253 292 803
- Crewe Body Positive Cheshire & North Wales 01270 653 150
- Liverpool Sahir House 0151 707 0606
- Liverpool George House Trust 0161 274 4499
- Manchester The George House Trust 0161 274 4499
- Manchester Black Health Agency 0845 450 4247
- Mersey Mersey AIDS Line 0151 709 9000
- Middlesbrough Teeside Positive Action 01642 254 598
- Newcastle-Upon Tyne Body Positive North East 0191 2322855
- Sunderland Wear Body Positive 0191 510 1805
Scotland, N. Ireland & Wales
- Aberdeen THT 0845 2412151
- Belfast Positive Life 0800 137 437
- Cardiff THT Cymru 029 2066 6465
- Conwy Tyddyn Bach Trust 01492 623322
- Dundee Body Positive Tayside 01382 461 555
- Edinburgh Waverley Care Solas 0131 661 0982
- Glasgow HIV-AIDS Carers and Family Service Provider Scotland 0141 445 8797
- Glasgow THT 0141 3323838
- Inverness Reach Out Highland 01463 711 585
- Swansea AIDS Trust Cymru 01792 461 848
- Swansea THT Cymru 01792 477540
- Scottish National Public HIV/AIDS Information Centre 0131 661 0982
- Camden CAB Service 020 7284 155
- International Community of Women Living With AIDS 020 7704 0606
- Jewish AIDS Trust 020 8952 5253
- OPAM (Organisation of HIV Positive African Men) 020 7281 2254
- UCRA (Ugandan Community Relief Association) 020 8808 6221
- Zacca (Zairean and Congolese Community Association) 020 8365 1665
- AHEAD (African Health for Empowerment and Development) 020 8316 4868
- Harbour Trust - merged with The Metro Centre 020 8305 5000
- London Ecumenical AIDS Trust 020 7793 0338
- Addaction 020 7582 5434
- Taifa Community Care Project 020 7708 1781
Leave your feedback about this page
We are unable to respond to any personal questions, or offer advice or information in relation to personal matters.
Help us improve our website! close
Before you leave us, could you help us redesign our website? We want to know if you found the information you were looking for and whether it was helpful to you.
This survey will take just a couple of minutes. It's completely anonymous and will help make our site better for the millions of people who use AVERT.org every year.